Covering all key Eastern European states and their history right up to the collapse of communism, this second edition of Eastern Europe in the Twentieth Century – And After is a comprehensive political history of Eastern Europe taking in the whole of the century and the geographical area.
Focusing on the attempt to create and maintain a functioning democracy, this new edition now:
- examines events in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- includes a new consideration of the evolution of the region since the revolutions of 1989–91
- surveys the development of a market economy
- analyzes the realignment of Eastern Europe towards the West
- details the emergence of organized crime
- discusses each state individually
- includes an up-to-date bibliography.
Eastern Europe in the Twentieth Century – And After provides an accessible introduction to this key area which is invaluable to students of modern and political history.